Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Become a Smokefree Living Advocate


I hope you are all doing well tonight.
As for myself, I am still dealing with pain from the "shingles". Some of them have opened, others are slowly fading... but the pain is still intense.

As we are now in an era of trying to live "Smokefree Lives", there are sites in which you can join where you may voice your opinion to your Senators, Congressmen, etc. on TAKE ACTION issues.

I have joined the American Lung Association, receiving newsletters on a daily, weekly basis. I took action on the most recent: "Harmful Effects of Tobacco". I was very happy to receive a reply e-mail from Senator Nelson of Florida.



Dear Ms. Grace:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about smoking.

Medical science continually reveals new research magnifying the harmful
effects of tobacco. The link between cancer and tobacco has been well
publicized, but smoking is also a risk factor for the development of
countless other diseases. The costs society bears to treat these
illnesses are staggering especially when you consider the countless
resources allocated to battle often-preventable diseases.

There is no question that measures can be taken to reduce society's
dependence on tobacco. Of particular importance is educating children
about the dangers of smoking in order to prevent them from ever starting
the habit, and ensuring that tobacco companies do not market their
products to children.

Additionally, I believe we can act to lessen the harmful consequences of
smoking. To this end I cosponsored S. 625, the Family Smoking Prevention
and Tobacco Control Act. This bill would provide the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) authority to regulate tobacco products with the
goal of reducing the number of people who start smoking and increasing
the number of people who quit smoking. S. 625 has been referred to the
Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.

I appreciate your concerns about smoking. As tobacco related issues
arise in the future, I will be sure to keep your opinions in mind.


P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting
key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If
you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for
them at http://billnelson.senate.gov/news/ebriefs.cfm


My thoughts are we all need to "Get Involved" and "Take Action on issues that we strongly believe in.

If you follow the attached link, it will take you to a "Smokefree Advocates" Page on Lori's site. Here you may take a look at several sites to become involved with.

http://www.loveyourlungsbreatheforlife.com/smokefreeliving/smokefreeadvocates.html


http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=22542



Breathe Well My Friends... Living Smokefree

1 2 3... Inhale ... 1 2 3 4... Exhale

Sandy

No comments: