Thursday, February 1, 2007

Socialization/Handicapped Parking

Have you ever noticed that when you park in a Handicapped Area and you get out of your car like everyone else does, folks look at you in disgust?... as if to say "Why are YOU parking in that spot?"... and wouldn't you just love to say... "Just because I don't have a physical disability that shows,I do have a hidden disability... I have COPD/Emphysema and SICK LUNGS DON'T SHOW."

I experienced a lot of those looks and sneers from people, when I used the handicapped parking spots. Those were times when I needed to do so, due to inclement weather, ill health. When I was feeling good, I would use the regular parking spots.

Here is an interesting point in which I need to share with you and get your opinions and comments. When I lived in New Hampshire I applied for a Handicapped License Plate, I had a form completed by my Physician, then took it to the Registry of Motor Vehicles. They accepted the form, I paid a small fee and was handed my Handicapped License Plates. New Hampshire required two plates, a mirror tag, which I could take with me if I were in someone elses vehicle. When I moved to Florida, I applied with a form from my Physician... and I was denied!!!... the reason...I am not "sick enough". How sick does one have to be? I have COPD, Emphysema, Fibromyalgia and OsteoArthritis. Guess I was sick enough in New Hampshire but not in Florida!

I am curious as to who actually has the right to deem a person to be "sick enough". Does he/she have a degree in the medical field? Does he/she know ME and my medical history?
Is there anyone that knows who we could contact with regards to these questions and what we need to do to have this situation reviewed and possibly changed?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Let's all Breathe Together now
1 2 3 ... Inhale ... 1 2 3 4 Exhale

Breathe Easy,
Sandy

3 comments:

RX850 said...

Hi Sandy,

I checked out both the Florida and NH DMVs and it seems they both have the same criteria for providing disabled tags. I copied the parts that I thought would be pertinent:

New Permit Application
Obtaining a Florida disabled parking permit is a simple procedure, as long as you have a qualifying disability:

Unable to walk 200 feet because of one of the following conditions:
An inability to walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, prosthetic device, or other assistive device, or without assistance of another person. If the assistive device significantly restores your ability to walk enough so you can walk without extensive limitation, you are not eligible for the permit.

Lung disease to the extent that your forced expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or your arterial oxygen is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest.

Use of portable oxygen.


So I guess I would ask if you are on oxygen? Have you had PFT's? My FEV1 is 29% which is .80Liters. I am also on oxygen so I qualified without any problem (in MA). Maybe your doctor in Florida didn't fill in the form the way the one in NH did? I would appeal this decision if I were you. It doesn't sound right that the same criteria seems to be used in all the states but you got different results.

Sandy said...

Hi RX850, Thank You so much for your research, I apologize for not responding sooner.I have an appt, with the Pulmonologist next month and I will ask him about the tags, I will also try to get the info on my PFT that I had done here in Florida. I will keep you posted.

Have a wonderful day

Breathe Easy,
Sandy

Unknown said...

ugg outlet
adidas yeezy boost 350
louis vuitton handbags
gucci handbags
ugg boots
ralph lauren outlet online
true religion jeans
cheap ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet online
stivali ugg
2016.12.15chenlixiang